Thursday, May 26, 2016

Blueberry Pie


Crust:
8 pitted medjool dates
1/2 cup water
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup almond flour
1 tbsp ground flax
Dash of cinnamon

Filling:
1/4 cup chia seeds
1 cup water
2 cups frozen blueberries, thawed (with juices)
1 tbsp ethyritol

First, mix all filling ingredients and let sit so chia can gel. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. 

Next, in an electric mixer, combine dates and water. Let it churn on low until broken up, soft, and beginning to dissolve. Add vanilla extract, followed by all dry ingredients. Let it churn until a thick dough has formed. Roll out on counter until flat and relatively round - I used my hands. Stick a couple holes in the middle. Mine turned out a little thick. 

Pour blueberry chia mixture into baking dish of choice (I used a silicone baking pan per my son's request). Carefully work the crust off the counter, then place it on top and tuck at the corners until it looks good to you.

Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown. Let cool for a while before cutting into it.
--
This pie is mildly sweet - it's not meant to hit a sweet tooth, it's not meant to be irresistible. It's meant to fill a desire for "dessert" while staying in control of your cravings. It might not "do it" for you, but it will still be tasty! I made this because my 4 year old saw blueberry pie on his show and wanted to make one. I have never made pie before. That son said it was a 9, my husband rated it the same. He's bringing some to work, which is rare!

No comments:

Post a Comment